Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Taylor's thoughts on Day 2 (Orphan Relief and Rescue)

Morning Devotional

This morning opened with a morning devotional in preparation for what God had in store for our team today at Orphan Relief and Rescue. While we were all discussing a verse in the Bible, I was flipping through my own and came across a specific verse that stood out to me. Philippians 1:6- “He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Jesus Christ.” This verse touched my heart this morning because I felt as if my trip to Liberia has a purpose, that Jesus has me here for a reason and I have the opportunity to impact children’s lives. Little did I know that God laid this very verse on my heart this morning to impact not only my interaction with the children today but also my sense of purpose in Liberia…

Breakfast

After devotional we ate a table full of food. There was coffee (the best instant coffee I have ever had I might add), oatmeal, bananas, oranges, grapefruit, sweet cornbread, and boiled eggs (which I splattered all over myself while attempting to peel it!) This morning was special to me because I can already see the relationships that are beginning to form throughout our team. Kristin, our amazing compulsive writer whipped out her journal and quickly jotted down a variety of memorable quotes we have already formed just from the 2 days we have been together. Although tired, I was, and am very thankful for the meals prepared for us to eat.

Orphan Relief and Rescue Headquarters

Here is where we met the people who are in charge of Orphan Relief and Rescue. They were very nice and welcomed us with open arms. The most memorable part of this stop was me and Kristin’s experience with the bathroom and being embarrassed about not being able to flush. There was a bucket of water we took with us that we had to pour into the toilet before and after flushing, and just could not quite figure it out! It was entertaining to say the least. We also learned that Matthew, the man in charge, and Samuel who is staying with him love to surf, this would play part in our beach adventure later in the day.

Orphan Relief and Rescue Compound and Rock of Divine Orphanage

There any no words that can ultimately explain the emotions I had today while visiting at Rock of Divine. The utter joy that lit the children’s faces blessed me with pure delight. I did not personally know any of these children, and I loved them already. This love only depicts a miniscule emotion of how Jesus loves every single one of us. I wish I could be with these children every single day, just to love on them and show them how Jesus loves us. Immediately the whole team embraced the children with open arms and began playing. Our main objective while here was to paint the boys dormitory. I entered the dormitory to find broken bunk beds, dirty concrete flooring, and an overwhelming feeling of sadness. I have never witnessed firsthand this type of living or I should say survival. The team did an exceptional job of allowing the boys to actually participate in painting their very own bedroom! Brad did a great job of leading as well spending quality time with the boys. That type of interaction is something they will cherish and never forget.
After a couple hours of play we broke for a brief lunch and prepared for the bible study and crafts we were doing later. Dimitri, fully drenched in sweat from playing “football” all morning needed an extra couple minutes to recuperate and focus on the lesson he was going to teach the children. Once we gathered all the children to the dining hall and quieted them down, Dimitri began the lesson. I have never witnessed someone so engaged and focused on teaching these children about Jesus while also making it entertaining. It was something very rewarding to witness. He did a great job. Next, Kristin led a couple songs for the children. To most of the team’s surprise, the children knew all of the songs! I could see the joy in Kristin’s heart just from the smile that crossed her face. There was no doubt God was working throughout each and every one of us at that moment in the dining hall. Later we colored and played inside while some of us went outside to play. I stayed inside and got my hair braided by three girls all at once! Although my head was being jerked around I knew how much happiness this brought the girls. A little boy named Jabeteh held my hand through the entire process. He would casually look up at me and give me the sweetest smile, all teeth showing and everything. I am not sure why, but God placed this little boy in my life to hold my hand for a reason. After the girls finished braiding, Jabeteh clung to my side every step I took.
While my purpose at Orphan Relief and Rescue was to show God’s love through my love on these children, I cannot put into words the love I felt just from this little boys smile… I would look up and most of the time and catch Chris with boys and girls surrounding him. He was awesome with the children and I could clearly see the God’s love through him. I would also catch Rachel taking millions of pictures of the children and allowing them to see what they looked like in their photo just to give the children a sense of identity. She was very patient and attentive to every child that wished to have their photo taken. I wish I had her talent and passion in photography. After another hour or so of cleaning up and getting ready to leave, Jabeteh was still at my side.
I did not want to say my goodbyes even though we will be there tomorrow for our final day. I saw my teammates saying their “see you laters” and I looked down at Jabeteh and he said, “Please don’t go.” Tears immediately filled my eyes. I tried to hold them back, but could not. I walked away towards the car to gather myself when Dimitri caught my eyes and made the team’s “see you laters” a little bit faster. We all got in the car to leave and Jabeteh with a huge smile on his face ran beside the car and yelled, “BYE TAYLOR!” I smiled back and said my goodbye for the day. I will cherish this moment forever. After I was in the car, I said to everyone in there, “man and this is only the first day!”

The Beach

The beach we went to was called “Myrtle Beach” which is funny because it’s the same ocean that Myrtle Beach, NC is located on. We had a great time kicking off our shoes and stepping into the ocean. It was relaxing to have a sort of fun care free time with my team and laugh. We got some great pictures in also of our beach trip!

Dinner

There was spaghetti and meatballs, corn, plantanes, carrots and raisin salad, pineapple and sweet bread. The dinner was very filling and was also a good sense of back home in our food. We were all very tired and emotional in itself so the talking was at an understandable minimum.

Debriefing

At this time the team was gathered and we shared our most memorable moment from the day. It was nice to hear all the personal experiences each and every one had. I am so blessed to be a part of such an amazing mission with wonderful Christian people. The debrief was also emotional, but I think the debriefing idea alone is a great idea so that we are able to become stronger as a team and build on our relationships. Brad, Dave, and Rodney did a great job of orchestrating the whole process while also making everyone feel comfortable.

Prayer Requests

I cannot wait to see what God has in store for us tomorrow. I know the emotional toll of saying good bye will be challenging not only for myself but for the whole team. Please pray for our strength throughout tomorrow. Also, I ask to pray for Dimitri, he is leading the teaching of the Gospel and pray that God’s words will flow through him and that these children have open hearts to receive it. Pray for our health and safety. Thankfully there has been no incidents but then again it is only day two!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for all yall! Stay after em! I know God is moving over there and the children will see what He has waiting for each one of them. 8D

Anonymous said...

WOW Taylor! Your blog and pictures touch my heart! I am so excited for what God is doing in and through YOU! I see God's shining light on your face and the joy you are bring to HIS people. I am so proud of YOU (and Bradley)! I love both! Mom ; )

Anonymous said...

Tay, your such a great person and doing such great things! I love you and miss you girl! See you soon!

Sis and mrs rock

Anonymous said...

I am glad Drogba (Dimitri) was able to play football again.