Monday, June 13, 2011

Kristin- (Day 9)- Pheebe Gray Orphanage

Today we started the day off with some worship music. Brad went over the book “When Helping Hurts”. The goal is to do Gods will and not our own or what we think is best.

Walking into Pheebe Gray was a huge blessing. They have actual toilets and running water from a pumping well. When we met with Pastor Jesse Williams he was very welcoming to us. He had all the children and the teachers gather into the school room to sing us greetings and pray over us. The songs were so beautiful. The choir then was led by a young boy named Victor who had a beautiful voice; they sang a song called Walking with the Lord. It was such a blessing for me and the group to be receiving such things from these children. Before we got started the group prayed over the teachers in front of the children.

I lead the children in the songs and it went very well, I was happy to know they already were familiar with some songs and we were able to teach them new ones as well. Chris did the story time again and did a wonderful job. When it came time to color the children all enjoyed it and they colored for about 45 minutes. They were all so proud of their coloring skills, Dimitri had them give them to him and he sat at the teacher’s desk and took a red marker and wrote A’s on all there papers. We then handed them back out to the children so that they would keep them.

When it came time for “small groups”, Brad told me I was going to take the kindergarteners thru 2nd graders out. Well as they started to be called I just said follow me and I walked out to find a good stop for us to have some privacy. As I was finding a spot I instructed the children to sit on the ground by the fountain. Well the children just kept on coming. I realized quickly my small group plans wouldn’t really work. I had them all stand in a big circle and as they were going through and telling me there names I counted……49 children!!!! So, I just went over the same songs as we did inside, they all seemed to love it and have fun. I was trying to figure out what else to do with them other than singing so Brad came over and help me teach the children duck-duck-goose. I had a lot of fun with that and I am very thankful they caught on.

I decided to go and grab the jump ropes and tie them together. Well all the kids loved it and I did that for bout another 45 minutes while Brad was playing basketball with his boys, Dimitri was playing soccer with his group and Chris was playing kickball with his group. Once Dave, Taylor and Rachel was done with their time with the teachers and other leaders we all gathered back together to have special time with the children from THINK. There were 7 girls and one boy. We did the faith bracelets first them broke off into small groups so that we could spend time in prayer with them . My 3 girls were very sweet and I enjoyed my time with them. After we all were done praying it was time to go. We had one of our drivers drive his pt cruiser to the middle of the orphanage and we played music to have a dance off. Dimitri was rockin it with a little boy who could break dance. I think he was like 10 and he showed Dimirti some pretty awesome moves. Then Brad came in and did the worm, which brought great joy to everyone and we loved it. We all had a great time, but leaving them just felt sad. I always wish I could spend more time with these kids but I know it’s not always possible.

Coming home to the compound we ate some sandwiches and rested for a few hours before our new friends were going to come to worship with us. We all took naps, and believe me we needed it.

Before our guests would arrive I wanted to spend some time in scripture and I found myself in Romans 12:1,2 “Therefore I urge you brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer you bodies as a living sacrafice, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is-his good , pleasing and perfect will.”

When our new friends arrived we were so excited. We had coffee and coffee bread prepared for them and they enjoyed it. The group of pre-med doctors from JFK and ELWA hospitals came as did Orphan Relief and Rescue. All together we had 16 for worship. It was a wonderful might gathering together as one accord worshiping and praising God. I feel so blessed and ready for the Holy Spirit to move in us and through us the next couple of days.

I ask all who are reading this to please keep us all in your prayers. Going to the hospitals for the next two days and I’m sure it’s going to get emotional.

p.s. I love my family and I miss my salon clients ;)


Kristin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Kristin! I'm glad to hear you are having an amazing time in Liberia. Keep up the great work you and the team are doing. I am pray for you ALL! Ms. Tracy : )

jnkunce said...

I AM SO THANKFUL FOR ALL GOD IS DOING WITH AND THROUGH YOUR TEAM. I MISS YOU TOO KRISSY! LOVE, MOM