Sunday, June 5, 2011

Kristin’s Reflections on Day 1 (Travel Day)

On the Plane

I woke up just before the sun and I was able to watch it come up. The beautiful orange started then the yellow and slowly green and blue. The amount of clouds was perfect making a perfect sunrise. I slept another hour after that and when I woke up I got up and walked around for a bit. I stood at the bathrooms with Rodney and Dave talking about what we will be doing and the excitement we had for it all. I enjoyed a wonderful cup of coffee as well.

Stop in Accra, Ghana

Once we landed in Africa we had about an hour and a half to 2 hour wait before we would take off again. I got to stand at the opening of the door and took some pics of the airport. It wasn’t much to look at. Everyone was up and walking about, security came on to check all bags and to make sure each one had an owner. They did this about two or three times. I sat over by Taylor and we slept for a few minutes, it wasn’t much; but it was nice. In sitting next to Dimitri I got to hear him sing along to his music and enjoy listening as well. So far this trip rocks.

We land in Liberia

When the plane landed we had to walk down the stairs to get out of the plane. A bus came and would pick up as many people who would fit. We had to stand in long lines to get through customs. Once we got through we walked into a chaotic mess, which was baggage claim. It was everyone for themselves, the girls stood to protect the bags while the guys would gather and pick up the bags. Once we were done there were so many bags that we had to be split up. Pastor Cuppah took the girls. Riding through the town took me back immediately. The poor were poor, Children played in the dirt, and people walked on the side of the road selling things. The weather is warm, but humid I feel like I’m in Florida, but the people remind me, I’m not in the U.S. at all. I even saw a broken down home with a few stalks with corn behind it. There life is normal to them,; people hanging out by the streets, children aging from 3-10 walk by themselves, and groups of kids playing with a soccer ball. There were men with just shovels digging and building with cement blocks.

The drive to Christine’s

There are so many undone or unfinished homes. I see so many young children, most with clothes that are too small, too big, or not right for the weather. Food is sold on the side of the road that I know is unsafe. I see a lot of Coca-Cola signs and advertisements. It saddens me that many people here know coke, but know nothing about Jesus Christ our Savior. I’ve only seen a few dogs, but they’re so calm, no leash no collar. The pot holes make it impossible to write. I’ve never seen roads this bad.
Reality set in when we arrived to Christine’s home. The room that the girls are sharing, there was a 6 inch spider waiting for the girls on the wall. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to handle sleeping near it, so I asked Brad to kill it and he did . The girls got the room that had its own bathroom attached.

3 comments:

jnkunce said...

Thank you Kristin for the blog! Good to know you all arrived safe and sound. We will pray that all luggage arrives soon!

Beccy said...

Danielle and Kristin, Thank you for the update, I'm so happy to hear you are safe and on the ground. I am praying along with the STS Prayer team for your trip. May God richly bless you! Beccy

Kuebla said...

Looking forward to following the blog throughout the duration of the trip. Very interesting insight into Liberia, and it's people. My heart goes out to them, because there is soooo much that needs to be done in order to preserve the people and their country. Illnesses, that aren't severe in the states, are killing the Liberian people. I pray that one day (soon) they'll overcome this.