Monday, June 11, 2012


I figure by now you know our morning routine almost as well as we do: wake up sweaty, eat breakfast, head out. Today was more or less the same. Actually, I'm lying. Rodney, Hogan and Tony went out to the REAP facility to get a head start on setting up for tomorrow. Tony got a chance to meet with Emmanuel, the director of REAP, exchanging thoughts and plans for the future of the leadership chapter here in Liberia. Everyone else stayed at home until around one, where we left for Orphan Relief and Rescue's Headquarters.
After meeting their team of seven, we followed them to one of their Orphanages in the area. Before we even pulled all the way into the walled-up compound we could hear the children shouting. These kids were ecstatic, like something from a Toys-R-Us commercial or something.
The whole time I was there, I really only talked to one kid, Jeremiah. I don't know how a personality like his could come out of an orphanage in Africa. He was born to perform, sticking out amongst the kids with his innate showmanship. Social, fun-loving, he was talkative, and I say that in comparison to the other children, harboring the only opinions during story time.
Now, this “story time” was fun for them, not so fun for me. As much as I love telling a story, using a Children's Bible to entertain not only fifteen kids but a few adults as well is achingly tricky. If you can imagine Woody Allen and Martin Scorsese having a conversation about crappy illustrated Bible passages, that's probably what it sounded it like.
After that was done, everyone filled to their liking with stories, we got to experience these kids dancing skills. With a slight rain accompanying them, the girls came out first to the beats of two drums. It was certainly the best piece of impromptu dance that I've seen this side of the Atlantic. To follow, was the boys, led by none other than Jeremiah. They slithered out in a line and stopped in front of us, looking like a boy band smiling to their fans. And of course, we ate it up.
The day out came to a close shortly after that, we climbed into the cars with a crowd around us handing out high-fives and goodbyes. As sentimental as it was, I think we all understood that those kids won't stay in a place like that, potential growing everyday.
At home, we crashed. After an indiscriminate amount of time (seriously, I don't know), we got up and killed some time before dinner. At this moment, eleven fifty six, it's raining. It's times like this, eleven fifty six, that I do my deep thinking, and by thinking I mean sleeping, so goodnight and good luck.


Zac

Danielle breaking it down with some of the girls

Miatta playing a rope game with some of the girls.

Me and my new buddy Jerimiah, what an awesome kid!

No comments: