Sunday, January 3, 2010

day 6. (sabbath)


Hello everyone! Danielle here. :) I thought we'd give sleepy eyed Annie a little extra rest tonight. I am personally loving being here with the team. Today was our Sabbath, so we took some much needed rest. We woke up this morning to a special Sunday Liberian breakfast. They feed us so well here. The table was filled with cornbread, fruit, ham, scrambled eggs, and oatmeal, then we headed off to church. In my limited experience of travel and missionary work in Africa, I always find so much joy in going to church here. This morning we went to Providence Baptist church in Monrovia. Everyone here puts on their best for church, and I can't get enough of the ladies fashion. So maybe the land is one of the poorest places on earth, but not on Sunday morning. Ladies dresses are vibrant and tailor made for their shape. Beautiful dresses and head dresses shine out against the red dusty roads. Its like a painting.

Church was so encouraging to me. Africans in general, seem to have such a special way of doing it. There is so much joy overflowing out out everything they do. They dance and sing and hug, and hug while they sing. I would recommend it, to anyone who has never done this.

Our goal today was to be refilled. All of us have been pouring out a lot of ourselves here, and we all felt the need to take some chill time. So Brent, Dave, Rodney, Jesse, and Annie took naps this afternoon. Dimitri, Amy, Jeremiah, and Kayla visited our neighbors next door for a football (soccer) game, and I spent some time resting and looking at the other team blogs. (I am so encouraged by what God is doing all around the world.) A Liberian tailor came over, and we are all getting dresses made for us, so hopefully we can do a fashion show for you of some kind.

I'm curious to know if anyone more then our parents are reading this blog, so please take a second to show us some "comment love :)" if you are following us.

Brent is doing great. We are so proud to have him as our leader. He such an example to follow went it come to crossing cultural barriers to form meaningful relationships with the Liberians, and the kids at Rafiki adored him. He is always so good at engaging the kids. He just oozes with love and joy over them, and the kids just soak it all up.

Dave is sitting in front of me, but he doesn't know that I'm writing about him right now. His love for Liberia is uncontainable, and he is such a constant joy to have around. He is always the first one to glorify God through some amazing story, in fact he's working right now--so hopefully you'll be able to hear some.

Jeremiah is full of energy, and full of Jesus' love for the Liberian children. He has recently discovered that teaching children is a large part of his calling... which is incredible news for any 18 year old seeking purpose. We can always count on him for jokes too, he loves to make the kids laugh however he can.

Jesse is soaking this place in. Last night Christine Norman told us her testimony. What an incredible woman she is. Jesse really connect to her story. Christine told us about the coup, when her father, the President of Liberia, was assassinated, and she was put under house arrest with her sisters among other things (solitary confinement, refugee escape, battling food shortage, depression, and a victorious round of cancer). Christine life is so full of trusting God one step at a time-- which seems to be a theme for Jesse this trip. Jesse is so precious.

Dimitri is so good at connecting with people. The soccer players have all nicknamed him Drogba...which he is loving. He brought a guy named Henry to church with us this morning. It was cool because when Dimitri met Henry in the neighborhood a few days ago, Henry told Dimitri that he couldn't go to church because he didn't have shoes. So Dimitri, without thought, gave Henry his extra pair of shoes, which lead to Henry coming to church with us today. In many situations, Dimitri seems to find many creative ways to be generous and practically love people.

Lindi is connecting with the girls really well. She's been here a week longer then any of us because she got here before Christmas with her Dad. Lindi LOVES the children, and she is so good with them. Her teachers heart shines through whenever she speaks to them. Her stomach was feeling better today, but I'm sick of this. Please pray that she will be able to enjoy the rest of the trip without having to think about feeling bad.

Kayla is such a sweet soul. She connects so well with the young women here. (I am secretly jealous) ;) Yesterday she boldly walked around the hospital, and prayed for women. Some of them woman were so close to death, and she was fearless in the way she interacted with them. Today she taught the children in the neighborhood dance moves. She is becoming more and more alive.

Amy is loving this place. I've heard her say a few times, "I just feel like everything in my life has led my up to this point." It's so good to hear from her. Right now she is trying to figure out what direction God would have her take for her life. Pray that God would direct her steps in every way. She also went to the neighborhood next door today, and also came alive. She painted nails and danced with them. (The kids here really like to dance).


Annie's hearts melts when she holds the
African babies, and at this point she would say that she has not held nearly enough. Pray for the next week that God would set her exactly where he wants her. Pray that God would put her in her "sweet spot".

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For continuing to keep us in your prayers!

Tomorrow Brent, Jeremiah, Kayla and Lindi are going to Diana Davis Orphanage, and Jesse, Annie, Amy, Dimitri and I will be going to THINK (Home for Sexually Abused Kids). Please pray for us.

Good night :)

Danielle

 

24 comments:

Ronnie Stanford said...

Thahks for the individual updates and filling in for Annie. It is great to hear how God is uniquely using this ministry in the lives of each team member. He is faithful.

Unknown said...

Hey Everyone!!! Just reading about each of you and what God is doing brings tears to my eyes because that place is so special! God is doing great things! Don't forget to embrace all that HE has for you while you are there!!! Praying hard for each of you!!! :)

Love Stacey

Karen Bearchell said...

I know that I am a parent and a wife of team members - but I check multiple times a day for updates! I look at all three blogs to get as much information as I can. It's wonderful to be able to follow along. . .you are being prayed for!!

with a Mom's heart - Karen

Felicia Stanford said...

These stories are so awesome. I'm so proud of you all and so thankful that God has chosen each one of you to be such a great light among these people.It's a rarity these days to see people your age give themselves away so completely. Only our Heavenly Father is able to do this through you. As always - praying for each of you as you bless this land and in return are blessed!

Lindsey Valentine said...

Thank you for helping Annie out. You did such a wonderful job. It so wonderful to hear how God is working through all of you. We look forward to hear more. Love to you all. P.S. Tell kayla we love her and give her a hug from mom and dad...

Mary Anne Morgan said...

Okay, my heart is wrecked thinking of my baby holding sweet African babies. I read that line, Danielle, and nearly exploded into tears. Oh, how I wish I could be there holding them too. Give them Jesus, Annie, and all of you. He lives in your hearts and He moves through your hands and feet. Kevin Queen read the scripture in Luke 4:18-21 today that Jesus read in the temple and proclaimed it as being fulfilled in their hearing. I could not help but think of all of you.
" the Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor".

You are living in the time of fulfillment of that scripture, and His spirit is on you and has anointed you. I am so proud of all you. Now, dance! ( and hold some more babies:))

Sean Lovett said...

All these entries are so amazing, you feel like you're there with you all spiritually, and it sure makes you want to be there physically! The pictures from the site posted in the last one were so great to look at, being able to see all the wonderful things that are so perfectly described in this blog really makes your heart jump! Thank you for writing all these messages and letting us be a part of such a powerful, eye opening experience! As always my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your team! Miss ya much :)

Klinect Family said...

It's wonderful to read all 3 blogs! Each of them rounds out the picture to give it more of a 3D feel. I find myself checking the blogs all day long to read the updates or to reread previous posts. For each of you that are there, there are so many hearts here loving and praying for you! By the by, tell Jere I look forward to seeing the dress the tailor is making for him. You did say everyone was having a dress made;-)

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

Here's some comment love...
I love following your team's journey! Praying for you guys, and grateful that you've followed Christ's call to Liberia! Reading about your days makes me excited to get back to Liberia in a few weeks and get back to work! Blessings!

Grandma Sue and Pa said...

From Kayla's grandparents:
We are following your activities as closely as we can. Check blogs several times a day. We never quit worrying about our offsprings (kids and grandkids) but know you are in God's hands, will accomplish your goals and come back safely. Love and prayers from Grandma Sue and Pa.

Sarah Fairchild said...

leaving some comment love!
I am going on my first mission trip ever this spring break and I'm a bit terrified, but reading all of these blogs and seeing what God is doing is making me more and more excited! I just pray that I have half the strength and spirit the people on these teams have. praying for you all!

Lindsey Valentine said...

kayla. this is your sister. the last post was left by mom under my name for some reason.
i feel like im with you. johnny and i pray for you everyday. so does nonnie. continue touching and laughing in the name of jesus. i love you sister.

Beth Cleary said...

I'm not a parent. I'm simply a roommate but I'm obsessed with the blog and all of your experiences nonetheless.

Danielle, you did a great job and it is sweet of you to give my writing roomie a break!! Her day 5 entry did just sound exhausted in the best way possible. To read about the exhaustion you all are feeling at the end of the work you all are doing is ironically invigorating to see. You all are giving your absolute all and pouring out Jesus' love in every way possible. That sounds like the best exhaustion ever.

I pray that though your bodies may be exhausted, your spirits remain persistent, strong, and so very much alive. You all are fantastic and it was so nice to hear about each of you and what you are doing there (and what God seems to be doing in you!) Enjoy this next week!
Sending so much love to ALL of you!!!

Johnnie said...

WOW all of you are so amazing! Every time I read the blogs I am moved beyond words. Hearing everything that is going on over there I can honestly say that I am completely JEALOUS! It excites me so much to hear and see God at work in Liberia and in all of you. I also want you to know that your not only making an impact over there but back home as well. I cant wait to hear and see more! Im praying for every last one of you. Keep loving all over those precious kids and love them a little more for me (please)!

Jordan Cooper said...

I check the blogs every day! I am praying for all of you and I love reading about what God is doing thru yall!

Deb said...

Hi Danielle,
I read your blogs whenever I can.
I loved how you mentioned each team member one by one and listed their stengths. That is so like your heart.. to be watching over the others.
Tell Annie I enjoy her posts too :)
Love and continued prayers, Deb

EmilyMarieKirk said...

I'm reading too!!! I read these blogs and can't help but wish I could jump on a plane and be right there with ya'll. Is James "KQ Jr."still at Diana Davis? I've been looking over pictures and immediately get jealous that y'all are there and I'm not! :-)
Many prayers being sent out daily to everyone!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, we're all following you with each update and praying for you daily. Keep being "a living sacrifice" (Galatians 2:20) and don't bring anything back with ya! Tell my boy Dimitri I love him and am proud of him. Keep up the great work guys!

In Him,

Stephen

Justin said...

Comment love on the way! I'm definitely not a parent but I love keeping up with y'all. I'm headed to Guatemala on the high school trip in April, so it's great to read everything going on there. I've been praying a lot for y'all and the other teams that are gone right now. Hope the rest of the trip goes well!

Tim Dickey said...

Dave Bearchell's coworker here. I have been following and praying everyday. God is doing amazing things through and with all of you. Continue to be His hands and feet.


Psalms 46:10 Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth.

Kristin Simmons said...

Danielle I am following!!! Praying & rejoicing in what God has & is doing through your team. Praying tonight for his Agape love to fill you & flow from you! LOVE TO MY DANCING GIRLS!!!

Kristin Simmons said...

Danielle, I am following!!! Praying & rejoicing in what God is doing through you guys. Praying tonight for His Agape love to fill & flow from all of you. LOVE TO MY DANCING GIRLS!!!

Unknown said...

I am loving all your updates. We are praying for all of you guys and love hearing how God is moving among you all. Some of you will always have a special place in my heart but I am covering every single one of you in prayer!

Love,
EM