Sunday, October 11, 2009

waves of mercy.


A week ago from this moment, I was sitting in the very same spot I am in now: the cushiony brown leather chair in the living room of my family's home, where I can camp out and quietly process whatever's on my mind. Today, I am thinking about my best friend's birthday celebration that will be taking place later on, and about how I wish I didn't have a pile of homework waiting in the wings, but last week I had different things on my mind. In spite of the normal buzz of school-related things, last weekend was highlighted with the brightness and beauty of a cultural experience unlike anything I've seen before. The Liberia team (sadly, minus Jesse) had the extreme privilege of visiting a Liberian church right here in Atlanta, and I'm pretty sure we all came out grinning from ear to ear.
The service, which was a special event dedicated to celebrating the church's 23rd year, began at 2PM and did not end until after 5PM--how's that for different? It seems like so often we are just concerned with "getting people home on time," but that was certainly not the mentality here. As I was watching all the many beautiful elements of this Liberian service come together (dance, music, intense warrior-like prayers), I kept thinking about the things we could learn from the way that these people were "doing church." There was a solid spirit of undeniable worship present in the room, with overflowing freedom and exponential joy to undergird the pursuit of that end. There was this "wander in whenever and jump right in" kind of quality that just felt like salve on the soul of a girl who always seems to be rushing, hurrying, or making a deadline. That would be me. Worship of the creator and fervent, meaningful prayer clearly mattered more to these people than whether or not they would be finished in time for dinner... how refreshing (and yes, a little intimidating).

Here are some pictures that Amy took of the service:





And one of the IHOP breakfast we all ate beforehand, where we tried to learn the Liberian handshake that is apparently harder than it looks:

Overall it was a great day, and a very exciting experience for us all! Personally, I got to spend time with my teammate Kayla on the way there and back, and the whole trip would have been worth it for that reason alone. Hearing her story of all the incredible redemption that God has woven into her life in just the last two years was such a privilege. People are always what remind me the most that God is so very good.

Anyway, one more story and then I'll wrap this up.

As you may know from Danielle's last post on this blog, every member of the Water's Edge missions group needed to have the cost of their airfare covered by last Tuesday, October 6. For the Liberia team, that cost is roughly $2500.00. At our last meeting it was made clear to each of us that if we did not have the cost of our airfare covered, we would not be able to go. It was just that simple. But by the time October 1st came around, many of us still found ourselves hundreds (or thousands) of dollars away from the $2500.00 mark. The rest of this story I'll have to tell you just from my own experience- I don't want you to miss how very awesome it is.

So, a week away from the October 6 deadline, I knew that I was in trouble. I needed over $1300 dollars in order to meet the airfare goal, and I felt like I had no way of getting there. I stressed myself out for days, trying to come up with enough letters to send out that I might actually get a response. I realized at some point about 3 days from the deadline that it was a lost cause; I could not send enough support letters before the deadline to make $2500 land in my lap. So, because I knew that this is what so many of the WE missionaries were doing, I prayed the desperate prayer of someone who has no other way: God, if this is what you want for me, then do something amazing and send this money my way. Really, the prayer was for all of us, for every person who was at the end of their financial rope. I had to stop and ask for forgiveness, realizing how quick I had been to belittle God's opinion in favor of my own. When I said "if this is what you want for me," instead of "this is how it's gonna happen," things changed.
By Monday afternoon, I had found out from Danielle that I now only needed $750 dollars, and I was holding in my hands several checks that brought the total down to $480. Twenty four hours and 480 to go? I started to get excited. I knew that God would do amazing things, even if it wasn't what I was expecting. So I started calling all the family members in my phonebook, explaining my situation and asking that they pray for the team as a whole. There is something so life-giving about rallying people across a great distance to pray; the responses were enthusiastic, but the asking was what blessed me the most. As the day progressed, I knew more and more that the favor of God was rolling in like a great tide to sweep over not only the ones who are being sent to spread the Word, but over those who are doing the sending as well. I prayed, and I ask that you would pray, for each and every person who gives financially and spiritually to this trip- I believe that God has something unique and wonderful in store for them.
By Monday night, I needed $280, and my heart was being lifted by the hour. Without my asking, my small group all laid hands on me to pray for the trip, pouring their hearts out in intercession in such a beautiful way. When they finished, my heart was already overflowing with gratitude for their prayers alone when suddenly, unexpectedly and without warning, they all started emptying their pockets into my hands. These college-aged young women, each of whom is probably living from paycheck to paycheck, were literally handing me what probably would have been enough gas money to last them for weeks. And each of them smiled while they gave, pressing checks and dollar bills into my palm with a look of certainty and happy resolve in their eyes. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed. I spilled my heart out loud to God on the drive home, thanking Him over and over and letting myself be reminded of what I now believe: I was chosen for this trip for a reason. And I love finding out what it is.

By the end of Monday, I needed $106 dollars for the trip. By the deadline, I needed $30. If the tickets end up being a full $2500 dollars, that 30 is definitely a number my bank account can handle. I am just so astonished by that fact.

And all across the board, there are stories like this. Pray that there are more to come. Pray that our hearts line up with His heart for this trip. Pray for the Liberian people- for what God is already doing in their land. Pray for our leaders, that they would follow Him closely. Pray for protection and continued favor. Pray for the spiritual battles that are being fought over this trip; that where there is opposition, it would be met by the powerful hand of the Almighty. Pray as He leads you, and REJOICE in what has happened thus far, and in what is to come! :)

More soon.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Just wondering what church you went to, and where it's located? I'm dying for a Liberian church service!

I have a very similar story to yours. When I first went to Liberia in 2007, I was broke and had no clue how I was going to get there. 4 days before I left, a final check came in the mail and it was the exact amount that I needed to pay the balanace for my trip. That was 2 years ago and I've been living and serving in Monrovia for the past year and a half! God is awesome and to His name be the glory!

Danielle Williams said...

Annie, "waves of mercy" really accurately describes what has happended in this past week.. I can hardly believe that 53 people made the airfare deadline...but at the same time, God kept reminding me to expect it.

I don't know how to have THAT MUCH gratitude, but he is worthy.

Hey Ashley, they would love to have you. Here's their website icfmatl.org They're a very welcoming congregation.

Ashley said...

That's too funny! I've been talking with Rennie Curran (Bulldogs player who's parents are from Liberia) and he told me that ICF is his church. That's 2 recommendations, so now I've gotta go! Thanks!

And WOW! 53 people on the team!? LIB better get ready for a serious invastion! =)

Danielle Williams said...

Cool Ashley! Yep, you should definately check it out. Have we met, by the way? How did you find this blog?

and 10 of us are going to Liberia. :) the others are going to Guatemala, Bolivia and Haiti.

Ashley said...

No, we haven't met. I know Emily Kirk. The last Liberia team met up with some of my co-workers from ORR when they were in Liberia, but I was home at the time. I guess I found the blog through Emily?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Annie for this testimony of faith...I needed that today!
Debbie B. in North Carolina